If you’ve never tried CrossFit, and I don’t know where to start, this is for you! I am a CrossFit Level 3 Coach, who’s been coaching since before 2010. I’ve spent almost a decade using the fitness program to help others excel
If you have already watched people do CrossFit, looked at tons of videos online of CrossFit, and still haven’t tried an official class…you gotta just go for it. I would always suggest going at least a few times so that you can get a feel for the environment, the programming, and the different instructors. Do not make a judgement after 1 class. If you don’t enjoy your experience at one box, make sure you try out another.
Tips for First-Timers
1. Call ahead or shoot an email to the gym owners. Let them know that you are new and interested, but would like to come in at a time when it is ‘least busy’ or when you could stop by just to see the place.
2. Go with a friend. Beg someone to go with you or ask someone who has mentioned it before if you can go with them.
3. Go to a beginner’s or free class (most locations have this at some point during the week). If it doesn’t say so online, refer to #1.
4. When you get there, approach another member and introduce yourself. Try saying something like, “it’s my first time, I’m a little nervous” or “I’m new, how did you get started here?”
5. Ask a ton of questions. Ask the coaches, owners and members about anything that you don’t understand. Make sure that when you leave you feel like you have a clear understanding of what happens, when, how, etc.
Remember, we all start somewhere. Every CrossFitter was a beginner at some point, who was nervous, timid, scared and hesitant, just like you.