Does this describe your typical morning?
The alarm goes off and the thoughts start pouring in….
- What do I have to do first thing this morning?
- Where do I need to be, when do I need to be there?
- How am I going to get everything done today?
- I have so much to do, I don’t know how I’m going to do it all
- I gotta take care of my kids, my significant other, my mom, my _____
- I better get going (ughhhh, mumble, grumble)
Or, the alarm goes off and…
- you immediately start scanning through your phone, looking at your calendar, your social media and all of your messages which you think is calming to your mind, but really it’s sending it into overload first thing and your thought begin to quicken and then you start rushing around.
We all have physical routines in the morning like brushing teeth, brewing coffee and making the bed..but today I want to help you with your MENTAL routine. What are you saying to yourself first thing in the morning? Is it helping you start your day off right?
Instead, try this ->
Something wakes you up and thoughts about your day, or your stresses start rushing in…then try one or more of these ideas to start your day differently
1. Stop yourself, take a deep breath and smile
2. Say something positive right away like “it’s time to start a beautiful new day” or “I’m up and thankful to be alive”
4. Pray or meditate. Maybe you want some help being more compassionate or patient, or maybe you need some strength to take on your day
5. Sit still and be quiet for a few minutes. Do this outside if you want to feel even more peaceful – that fresh outdoor air is good for all of us
6. Write in a journal. Spend a few minutes jotting down your thoughts, and what you want to put out to the world that day. Or, keep a gratitude journal where you can write a few positive thoughts each morning
8. Think about something, anything that you have to look forward to in your day
THEN, you can get up and continue to remind yourself to slow down, stay positive, and enjoy the morning.
Comment below with how you make sure that you start your day off right.