For each week of the 2013 Open I will pick an important topic, make a few tips and suggest some Mentality WOD Posts that apply to the workout. I want you to perform your best and feel great about each WOD. These 5 weeks are a true physical and mental challenge, and you have to be calm, focused and confident to get the most out of yourself.
For 13.1 you will be using a lot of self-talk to get yourself through the 17 minutes. I want to tell you about the difference between mantras and cue words, the 2 types of self-talk that you should focus on for this WOD.
- During The Burpees – Use your mantras. Tell yourself to keep breathing, keep going, that it’s easy, that you feel light and that you can always get one more…then one more…
- During The Snatches – Use your cue words. You will need to get right into your technique cues. Big hips, pull under. Get tight, high elbows. Set, open, drop. Keep it to a couple of key words that you know will help you perform the movement efficiently.
- Do not look at this WOD as 17 long minutes, or tons of reps. Break it down to little sets. 5 at a time, 10 at a time. Get through the burpees, then focus on the snatches. Get through the snatches in small sets, then think only about the next set of burpees. A few reps at a time, a few small chunks at a time…and before you know it….17 minutes are done and you left it all out there.
- Read Posts 12, 30, 31, 33 which give you great tips about how to focus and how to take on an important workout.
- Get connected on Facebook & Twitter for contests throughout The Open and your chance to win free coaching, shirts, or free access to The Mental Edge Program
Article of The Day
Check out some great strategies given in This Article from The Tabata Times