To perform your best, you have to be laser focused on what you’re doing and what you can control. When you can put your energy and attention on a few key variables, you’ll accomplish things faster and you’ll be more successful overall.
The problem is, most people don’t have the discipline to get rid of all the things that cause “mental clutter.” Or, maybe there isn’t enough information out there about focus, and how it works. Anyways, on my opinion, the key to focusing better is elimination.
Social media applications on your phone can be a tremendous distraction. They aren’t inherently “bad” but they absolutely clutter our minds and can take away from more purposeful behaviors or thoughts…especially if you’re checking them all throughout your day whenever you get a free moment. While you might be scrolling your social media apps to “unwind” there are hundreds of other better ways to get restored, here are a few ideas.
If you’re getting ready for a competition, competing at an event, or just looking for a way to gain a mental edge, you may want to consider making some changes with your social media.
– Remove all social media apps from your phone
– Unfollow a large number of people or all of them
– Give someone else in your crew the login info to your social media so they can manage it while you compete
– Give yourself strict guidelines for when you can check your social media (ex: for 10 min in the evening each day)
– Try going “social media free” for 30 days (take all social media apps off your phone) and see how you feel after
- Scott Panchick (5x CF Games Athlete) only follows his friends and family on Instagram – 32 people total
- Dani Horan (4x CF Games Athlete) lets someone else run her social media during competitions & only follows 66 people on Instagram
- Rich Froning (6x CF Games Champion) follows 1 person on Instagram, his wife
- Lebron James “went dark” on social media (completely inactive) to prepare for The NBA Finals
To improve your performance, you’ll want to keep your mind as focused and as positive as possible. You may not know the impacts that social media has on your mentality, until you eliminate it from your life for a little while.
How has this helped you? What are you going to try?
If you want more:
- Products for CrossFitters: The Mental Edge Program – The Build Mental Strength eBook – 100 Journal Prompts
- Products for every type of athlete: 100 Journal Prompts
- Remote coaching for anyone looking to improve: email firstname.lastname@example.org for your free assessment